Monday 4 March 2013

LL #3- Fahrenheit 451

In class we have been reading the book called Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. The main character of the book, Guy Montag is a fireman, who starts fires. Kinda twisted right? Even more twisted is the fact that fireman burn books and houses that contain them.

Fahrenheit 451 is an example of dystopian literature, in which the author takes a problem that they see happening in the future, and exaggerates that problem to help us see the error of our ways and inspire change.

The book has several different conflicts going on so far. (The tension between Montag and his wife, the fact that he has been taking books from the fires he has been at, etc.) I'm still not sure as to why books are illegal and need to be burned, but I'm sure that's something I will find out as I continue to read.

I did find this really interesting video by John Green, who is one of my favorite authors and vlogger. In it, he reviews the first section of Fahrenheit 451 and even gives a bit of background and history about Ray Bradbury and when the book was written.

I really like the part in the video where he talks about all the problems that Ray Bradbury had predicted that have come true. It's actually a little scary how accurate some stuff he predicted is. No, we don't burn books but things like the fact most households have more TVs then people are things that Bradbury wrote about in Fahrenheit 451 and predicted might happen in the future, and he was right. That kinda blows my mind a little.

John Green also poses some really thought-provoking questions at the end of his video. Especially, "Have we replaced intellectual engagement with superficial browsing?" That question really stuck out to me. I don't really have a good answer for it, to be honest but it's definitely really made me think. We use so much technology on a daily basis; texting, facebooking, tweeting, etc, and is it replacing actual human interaction for us? That's kind of a scary thought.

1 comment:

  1. Strong post, Kayla. You bring some research to the conversation and ask some relevant and thought-provoking questions. Be sure to include your concerns about current technology use in our class discussions after the break.

    Thank you for the resource tip; John Green and vlogbrothers post some helpful and funny stuff that I'm enjoying.

    ReplyDelete