Monday 11 March 2013

LL #4- 10,000 Hours

So this week we've got a bit of a handle on the individual projects we'll be doing. I haven't mentioned this on my blog yet, but basically what's happening is that everyone in the class is taking on a project of their choice, where they either try learning a new skill or research a topic they're interested in. I'm really interested in psychology, so I'm going to be learning some stuff about that, but I'll probably go more in depth with that in another learning log.

This week, I wanted to talk a bit about Dr. Anders Ericsson's/Malcolm Gladwell's theory of 10,000 hours. This theory was brought up in class, and I instantly wanted to find out more about it. Basically all it is, is the theory that the amount of time it takes to master something is 10,000 hours of practice. Now that's a LONG time! I had to go and use the good old Google, and I found that 10,000 hours would be exactly 1 year, 56 days and 16 days. That's without doing anything else, and I mean humans have to eat, sleep, work, etc.
So it definitely takes a good amount of time to reach that 10,000 hour mark!

I found this cool visual presentation (http://prezi.com/jy2s8jsopl4k/10000-hours-theory/) and like I've talked about in a past learning log, I am a visual learner so this was especially interesting to me.

I just find idea of the 10,000 hour theory so interesting because it just makes me wonder if there is anything I would actually have the patience and passion to spend 10,000 hours doing. Like I said before, 10,000 hours is an extremely long time and takes a ton of dedication to accomplish, so I definitely give props to anyone who reaches that goal. 

1 comment:

  1. Kayla,

    I like how you're including media in your posts, adding voice, texture, and information.

    The key is 10, 000 intentional hours of quality practice; not just any old hours will do. I've been thinking about what I've already invested time in and trying to analyze the quality of that time. I'm also considering which ideas/activities I wish to continue or start pursuing with quality practice.

    Do you have any thoughts about investing 10,000 hours in something? Teaching perhaps? Your placement during ICE could certainly be part of those hours.

    ReplyDelete