Sunday 21 April 2013

LL #7- Halfway Point

So this week marks the halfway mark of the semester! That's actually so crazy, I can't believe how fast this school year is flying by.

Since its the halfway point, I took a bit and time and just thought about what we've really done and learned this semester.

I think the biggest thing I've learned is that the way school is traditionally done maybe isn't the best. This class is definitely different than any class I've ever been in before. The idea of having a project where we could research really anything we wanted and that didn't have very strict rules was kinda overwhelming at first, but it's something I've really enjoyed. To be honest, a lot of the stuff I learn in school, I learn to pass an exam and finish the class. A majority of the information doesn't stick with me and I pretty much forget it once I've stepped out of the exam room.

However, with an project like this, I'm learning about stuff I already had an interest in, so I pay more attention and really immerse myself in the details of it. There's really no pressure to memorize information for a test, I'm motivated to learn this information because I want to, not because I have to.

I think that's the major thing I've learned this semester. Of course, we've read Fahrenheit 451 and learned quite a bit about poetry, and those things have actually been pretty interesting. But I think the thing I'll really take away from this class is that maybe traditional education isn't always the most practical way to do things, and it might be time to switch things up a bit. I think that's something a lot of people are starting to realize, which is pretty cool.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the first semester of this class, and I'm excited to see what's in store for the next one.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you've enjoyed our class, and I appreciate how you've helped make it work. You have learned through research and writing on your own and demonstrated that school can be organized and facilitated in different ways.

    I trust that you'll remember some skills and information longer because of the way you learned, but more importantly, you've learned how you learn. Knowing how you learn allows you learn more easily and helps you overcome more difficult challenges. Thanks for helping me with the challenge of new methods in our class.

    ReplyDelete